Our thriving local economy is a huge priority for the council, and we fully invest in supporting our businesses however we can. We do this through our high-quality business, jobs and skills service who help thousands of residents every year. They provide business advice, support recruitment and help residents get into jobs they love.
Another way we support our economy is through our award-winning Choose Local campaign which encourages residents to support their community's vibrant local businesses.
Our residents choose local to support everyone, from switching up where they get your fruit and veg, to eating out locally, to buying that gift in that little independent shop they always walk past but never popped their head in.
Why is it important to choose local?
- For every £10 spent with an independent business - £3.80 stays locally. Your pound works a lot harder locally, helping businesses to employ locally, use local suppliers and buy local products.
- Research by VISA shows that buying your Christmas dinner ingredients presents for your loved ones or home decorations from local businesses could double the amount of money that stays in the local community.
Don’t believe us? Well, what about these stats that might just motivate you to choose local.
- It makes you feel good! 43% say they get a boost of happiness when they support local shopkeepers.
- Over half (54%) say it’s important to them to shop locally because they know how much their custom means, think about how you can help someone in your local community, they could even be a neighbour or have a child that attends the same school as yours.
- Local businesses contribute to their community by making the area a nicer place to live (39%) and keeping it vibrant and buzzing (38%).